This workshop will introduce participants to the basics of data and do-file organization to make working in Stata easier. By the end of the workshop, participants will have an understanding of the importance of data organization, and have seen examples of potential structures for how to organize data files, do files, and other documentation. The workshop will also discuss the importance of documentation, both in general and within do files.
The workshop will cover the following topics:
1. Recommendations for how to organize data and do files to make sure:
- Results are easily replicable
- Projects can be resumed after a long break
- Collaborative work on a data project is feasible
2. Suggestions for comprehensive documentation within do files
3. Practice working with unfamiliar do files and data, and understanding code written by another person
Prior knowledge: A basic knowledge of Stata (D-Lab's Stata FUN!damentals workshop series or equivalent) is required for this workshop.
Technology requirement: Please bring your own laptop with Stata installed. You can install a trial version of Stata, but please arrive 15 minutes early if you need assistance.