D-Lab Data Science Fellows (2022-2023)
- Data Science Fellows Infosession is May 2nd, from 2-3pm. View the recording!
- Application deadline extended to Sunday, May 15th. Apply here!
- Interviews will be held May 19th - May 25th
Data Science Fellows Description (Apply Here!)
Data Science Fellows are an integral part of the D-Lab community. They largely support the D-Lab’s instruction program, while additionally bolstering the D-Lab’s interdisciplinary research mission by delivering talks and writing blog posts. The D-Lab Data Science Fellowship is intended for Berkeley students who wish to provide sizable and wide-ranging contributions to the D-Lab community. Those interested in the fellowship are expected to have high technical competency and be ready to instruct and deliver research talks.
The D-Lab Data Science Fellowship is a 2 consecutive semester commitment. If a Fellow cannot fulfill their commitments for both Fall 2022 and Spring 2023 semesters, they will no longer hold the title of Data Science Fellow, and will not be eligible for a Senior Data Science Fellowship. The time commitment for a Data Science Fellow is approximately 5 hours a week for the 16 week semester, totaling around 80 hours each semester.
A Fellow has the following responsibilities:
- Write two blog posts, preferably one each semester
- Give a Fellows Talk each semester
- Attend the majority of Fellows Talks
- Participate in Fellows meetings
- Instruct and assist workshops:
- Attend Instructor Training Meetings
- Teach at least 4 workshops per semester
- 3 hours of instruction time for each workshop
- 4 hours of preparation for each workshop
- Assist with at least 6 workshops a semester (roughly 2 a month)
With the following optional responsibilities:
Participate in curriculum review and development
Participate in D-Lab special projects
Participate in consulting and attend biweekly consulting triage meeting
Data Science Fellows are expected to have a plan on how they expect to allocate their required hours among these responsibilities. The following is one example:
- Write a blog post: 4 hours
- Give a Fellows Talk: 6 hours
- Attend 10 Fellows Talks: 10 hours
- Attend training or Fellows meetings: 4 hours
- Lead 4 workshops: 12 hours instruction and 16 hours of preparation
- Assist with 2 workshops per month (6 workshops total): 18 hours per semester and 10 hours of preparation
This template corresponds to 80 hours, which is the required time commitment for a Data Science Fellow. However, a Fellow may include hours via other optional responsibilities, provided that they have prior approval and meet their teaching obligations.
Data Science Fellows receive a stipend of $2400 at the conclusion of each semester subject to satisfactory completion of the above requirements and participation in D-Lab activities.
Going above the 80 hour requirement is possible. If you wish to deepen your engagement in the D-Lab and increase your weekly commitment, please speak with a D-Lab core staff member about your interests. However, additional hours are not guaranteed and must be discussed in advance.
Application Deadline: Sunday, May 15th